Olmsted Center (Summer Camp and Retreat Facility)
Five Points Mission, the entity that owns and operates Camp Olmsted, has been in existence for over 150 years. It is one of the oldest missions in New York City and the oldest Methodist mission. Five Points Mission is a not-for-profit corporation incorporated in the State of New York. Five Points Mission was named for the region just north of New York City Hall where five streets converged at an open square. In the 1800's this area was characterized by all types of social ills and its residents were the "undesirables" of society. In 1848 the Ladies of the Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church devoted their attention to Five Points. For five years this group had been working with immigrant and disenfranchised populations to help them find God. They struggled in their approaches to working with the population that resided at Five Points. At the turn of the century it became apparent that there was a need for a camp to take the children and their mothers to during the summer. An appeal was made through the Five Points Mission newsletter. Sarah and John Olmsted responded with a donation of a 21 acre parcel of land. In 1901 Camp Olmsted was opened as the Olmsted Fresh Air Home of Five Points Mission in Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York. The purpose of the camp was to serve as a "vacation" away from their depressed living conditions in the city. Over the years immigrant children took the Hudson River Day Liner to Cornwall-On-Hudson landing and then were picked up or walked the one mile to camp. In 1966 the New York City Society entered into a cooperative agreement with Five Points Mission, which allowed for the sharing in the development and operation of Olmsted. In 1984 Olmsted became an accredited camp through the American Camping Association. In 1982, Camp Olmsted was recognized by the National Register of Historic Places for significance of the camp and it's buildings in American History. In 1990 the Manor House was winterized and a tennis court was added to the property. In 1998, Five Points Mission acquired two adjoining properties: 1) the Windon Farm (also known as the Donohue Farm) with approximately 45 acres and 2) the Santoro family residence on approximately 9 acres. At the same time, Scenic Hudson Land Trust, Inc. acquired conservation easements on portions of the the three properties. Bringing the total camp grounds to 76 acres. Today Olmsted hosts 200-300 campers per year through our sleepaway and day camp programs.